Wednesday, June 6, 2012

communication difficulties..

Had our well-baby checkup with the doc today. Well, what I thought was a well-baby check up anyway. Turns out it was a Surprise! speech Evaluation! yay! *sarcasm*.
My little guy has been talking for a year now, but he hates it. Honestly he just doesn't like talking or the English Language. I dont really blame him. He has had a speech delay, that we have been working on, and he is progressing just fine. He does really well with communication when he needs to, and IF you are willing to communicate with him on his level. He is a bit quirky. He says "da" instead of "yes" "Da" Is yes in russian. and has the strangest grammer structure I have ever seen. (granted he's 2 1/2 so he has a ways to go). Yesterday his big sis was making him a paper airplane, and He spouted off.. You make ball me? (ball being his word for toy or play). It's sort of english...but when he strings the words together..the subject of the sentence, or the person speaking it, almost always gets placed at the end. He's great with understanding. (watch out what you say around my kid because he understands English like a 5 year old, not a 2 year old). But he just doesn't talk. he knows words, he knows phonics, but for whatever reason...he just refuses to use them. The docs are stumpped, the speach therapists are confused. He just wont speak English. I think that I need to find a language that would more comfortably fit his understanding of the grammatical structure, so maybe a speech pathologist? Linguist? anyone a Language geek out there who might be able to help me out?

The funny part is. He has no problems what so ever communicating with us. He can understand and follow multi step directions, has a wicked long memory, and will learn and pick up new information like a sponge.
He just doesnt like talking. And when he does have something to say...Its not english. It's another language with  English words. heh.

Trying to explain that to bureaucrats, and doctors has seemed almost impossible. They cant seem to get their heads around it, and instead are asking us about our plans for early-pre-preschool.

I know he is talking..I know that If I find the right language..that he would love words..I just dont know where to look.

I feel bad for him. No one expects him to understand them, because he doesnt speak "their language" so when the Doc says.."do you want to go for a walk?" and he excitedly says "da" and then she walks him around the corner and stops to look at stickers....she cant figure out why he is throwing a temper tantrum..

duh, you asked him if he wanted to go for a walk..not name everything in the office. *sigh*

I'm not sure he is the one having a communication problem here...

No comments:

Post a Comment